Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Race

Have I told you lately that I love Ft. Worth?? As I was pulling out of the parking garage at my apartments this morning, I was motioned to stop by one of the local police officers for the city of Ft. Worth. I had forgotten today is the Cowtown Marathon! I went back into the garage, parked my car and decided to take the very short walk to Panera to enjoy a warm breakfast, a good read and maybe even a blog. It has been a while since I have written you...but the crisp air and the excitement of this city in February left me with a desire to write.

As I walked down the street, I learned that the stretch of road that runs alongside my building was the 13th mile. Most of the men running had been at it for nearly half the trip and they were in good shape. One of the men from the sidewalk yelled, "Best Cowtown weather in years!" Most of the men were running alone. I could tell by their form these men must have been the forerunners for the race. I could tell they must have been tired, but their faces looked so determined. Not one of them turned away from what was in front of them.

It's 9:48 now and the race has been going on for quite a while now. Several of the 13 mile runners that are passing by the window now look tired and their form is not as good as the men I noticed earlier this morning. They're running in groups and are struggling to keep up with the ones in front of them. They're wearing heavier clothing that seems to weigh them down. They're looking at their watches to see the time..and looking to others along the path to help push them along.

This portrayal got me thinking about the race we run with Christ. "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 2 Timothy 4:7 "Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:1-2.

Have we conditioned ourselves for the race that lies before us? Are we practicing daily and filling our lives with substance that will sustain us in the last days? What are we looking to to help us finish the race that has been set before us? Are the things of this world weighing us down? Have we chosen comfort over freedom in Christ? Are we looking at the time we felt we have wasted? Or the time we have left?

Strive to press on and look the the author and finisher of our faith, who for the JOY that was set before Him endured the cross...for you. For your salvation.

Praise be to the Lord God our Father who has run the race keeping His eyes on the Father.






No comments:

Post a Comment